Hey you awesomepeeps!
And no, that isn’t a typo in the title,it is Octoberfest for me since October is a month of festivals, celebrations and special treats for me! Birthday month and all that!
This is the second part of my previous post, after my awesome Jaspal Fashion Launch ! Read part one here! Now, I’m headed to Oktoberfest at Hartamas!
We got there a little late, thanks to us getting SO lost, almost running out of petrol, and the awesome KL traffic. And lets just say when we reached, we were starving, and needed a decent meal and drink! They had a special Oktoberfest menu for us to choose from, so I had the chicken, since the other thing was beef, and I no eat beef. 😦
And obviously, the beer. Plus we got to keep the 1 Litre Ceramic Oktoberfest Mugs with the metal lid we’re holding at the end of the day 🙂 And guess what, the first refill of your 1 Litre Ceramic Oktoberfest Mug is absolutely free!
The celebrations are actually brought to us lucky people by GAB (Guinness Anchor Berhad), where by they are hosting 14 themed parties at the hippest, hottest places nationwide! Since Oktoberfest does originally hail from Germany, the parties will be all about the exciting aspects of German culture, cuisine, history and celebrations!
Some of the interesting things about Oktoberfest?
- The royal wedding (not Kate and William), but Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen.
- The Schmankerl (traditional German cuisine), which includes Hendl (roast chicken), Schweinebraten (roast pork), Schweinshaxe (grilled ham hock), Steckerlfisch (grilled fish on a stick), Würstl (sausages) along with Brezen (pretzel), Knödel (potato or bread dumplings), Käsespätzle (cheese noodles), Reiberdatschi (potato pancakes), Sauerkraut or Rotkohl/Blaukraut (red cabbage) along with such Bavarian delicacies as Obatzda (a spiced cheese-butter spread) and Weisswurst (a white sausage)
- And the epic Oktoberfest parade and carnival, exciting activities and contests with fun prizes!
Have a look at the royal wedding ! They actually had a proper wedding and everything acted out. Such detail 🙂
I hope ya’ll are interested for a bit of a history lesson on Oktoberfest? Oh come on don’t be like that. Read on!
This celebrations started as wedding celebration to commemorate the union between the Crown Prince and Princess, And through the years, the Oktoberfest celebrations have had a number of different elements and activities, including horse races, street parades in traditional costumes, live music, dancing and for sure, the appreciation of authentic Munich-brewed beer.
Oktoberfest has almost 7 million visitors consuming over 7 million litres of beer and more than half a million chickens throughout the 16 – 18 days celebrations, starting from the middle of September to the first Sunday of October. For 2013, the Oktoberfest festival ran from 21 September 2013 to October 6 2013, a total of 16 days of rich culture, awesome cuisine and beers.
Now, Oktoberfest would’t be Oktoberfest without the beer na? But the beer isn’t the regular beer you buy at 7-11 you know. All the Oktoberfest beers must be brewed within the city limits of Munich and must also conform to the Reinheitsgebot or Bavarian Purity Law which regulates the production of beer in Germany by limiting the ingredients that can be used. Also, all Oktoberfest beers are approximately 13% proof (about 6% alcohol), meaning they are a little bit stronger than their “non-Oktoberfest” counterparts.
OK lesson over! Back to the celebrations! They had some awesome games and activities going on, and if you won at least 4 of the games, you get a limited edition tee! Which I did, of course! =D Beer pong, shoot some darts, simple games really!
On top of the games, drinks and food, we had Mad Sally performing some epic tunes with Kelly Siew, and I must say, Mad Sally consists of a bunch of hunks!
And I managed to snag a pic with the drummer. =D Hahaha. *Inner fan girl screams*
If you want to join in the celebrations as well, dont fret , the Oktoberfest celebrations will still be held at the following locations through out the whole month of October:
- 10th October at Souled Out Sri Hartamas (KL)
- 12th October at QEII (Penang), Geographer Café (Puchong) and Jonker Street (Melaka)
- 14th October at Euro House (Ipoh)
- 18th October at Festival Walk (Ipoh) and Laundry Bar, The Curve (Mutiara Damansara)
- 19th October at Upper Penang Road (Penang) and O’s Corner (Kuantan)
- 24th October at Remedy House, Scott’s Garden (KL)
- 25th October at Danga Bay (Johor) and Phat Barrels (Kuantan)
- 26th October at The Museum (Ipoh)
- 31st October at Beer Factory Sunway Giza (KL)
And that’s that! The end. Fin. Hope you enjoyed the post! For more info on the Oktoberfest campaigns, check out the GAB Oktoberfest Malaysia Facebook page at www.facebook.com/OktoberfestMY.